Wednesday 27 July 2011

Why I Will Never Stop Following The Jays

It is every sports fan's dream to watch the team they have lived and died with for the entire 7-8 months of a season win a championship. That's the ultimate fulfilment of being a sports fan.

When I was a young kid living in the middle of the country, baseball took on a huge part of my life. by the age of 2 I had started playing tee-ball but became sick of it once I realized there was no out. With only 5 or 6 channels on TV, the only baseball games I got to see were Toronto Blue Jays games. My dad had been a jays fan his entire life and kept telling me about how the team had won back to back world series just before I was born. Those stories captivated my interest, and I always dreamt that I'd be able to watch it happen with my dad and cheer along with the players.

When we moved to Kingston, and I got cable TV that was a huge thing for me, I would be able to watch almost all the games on TV and as the years passed I realized one thing. The jays were an average team, never the worst, but never good enough to win in the American League East. I never stopped having that image of watching the team that I loved raising the trophy, or having a parade in downtown Toronto that I would be attending. 

That dream is what separates the die hard fans from the band wagon jumpers. People ask me why I don't just start cheering for a team that's winning and my answer is always the same. When the Jays finally do win, it will be even sweeter for me when I realize all the pain that fans lived through for the last 17 years.

Baseball consumes my life and the Toronto Blue Jays are at the forefront of that. I'll continue to cheer for the jays so that when the moment finally comes that they again raise that championship trophy and banner, it will be an amazing memory that will never leave me 

No comments:

Post a Comment